Department of Energy, South Africa
Mr Thabane Zulu completed his junior and honours degree in administration in 1995, at the University of Western Cape, Cape Town. He furthered his studies later whilst working and completed his MBA in 2007 at Management College of Southern Arica (MANCOSA).
He has worked with the following institutions:- Msunduzi Local Municipality as a Municipal Manager, Department of Social Development as Head Of Department (HOD), African Access as an Executive Director for Business Development. He has worked for the Department of Human Settlements as the Director – General from 2010 – 2015. Whilst working at the Department of Human Settlements the Minister seconded him to provide leadership at the Housing Development Agency (HDA) which is an entity reporting to the Minister of Human Settlements as Acting CEO. He was responsible for the following: Operational Strategy:
1. Ensure development of functionally integrated business plan that is aligned to strategic vision
2. Build an effective, dynamic, high performing team with a co-operative team spirit
3. Allocate responsibility and accountability for achievement of goals and targets
4. Monitor performance and address any issues as they arise
5. Oversee performance of the HDA to ensure achievement of strategic plans and goals
Mr Zulu has since been employed with the Department of Energy as the Director General. He assumed duties from the 1st August 2015 as Acting Director General and has since been appointed as Director General. His responsibilities and duties are as follows:-
1. Provide strategic leadership in the Energy sector.
2. Responsible for Energy policy, research and programme development
3. Provide Strategic leadership to the Energy Sector and SOEs
3.1 Energy planning;
3.2 Petroleum and Petroleum products regulation;
3.3 Electricity and energy programme and project management;
3.4 Nuclear energy and;
3.5 Clean energy.